About Caldecott

The local government ward of Caldecott is made up of Abingdon, south of Ock Street, and east of Drayton Road.

Caldecott ward is represented by 1 county councillor,  2 Vale of White Horse district councillors, and 4 Abingdon-on-Thames town councillors.

Oxfordshire County Councillor:
Neil Fawcett

Vale of White Horse District Council Councillors:
Sam Bowring
Neil Fawcett

Abingdon-on-Thames Town Council Councillors:
Sam Bowring
Andrew Coveney
Neil Fawcett
Alex Greenaway


The area south of the River Ock was farmland until the mid 20th century when Abingdon Borough council built Saxton Road and John Morris Road. The road infrastructure still relies on the same two ancient bridges. You can queue 20 minutes or more to travel north up Drayton Road or by St Helen’s Wharf.

According to local historian, Agnes Baker (after whom Baker Road is named), the name Caldecott could derive from the old English word for cold (Cald), and cottage (Cot). It is thought Caldcot (under various spellings) could either mean a cheerless dwelling place, or a place of shelter for wayfarers from the cold, or a dwelling in an exposed location.

Abingdon Caldecott was part of the ancient manor of St Helen's, founded after the Norman Conquest by a Norman knight, Rainald, a tenant of Abingdon Abbey, who took the name from the nearby church of St Helen's. The manor was outside the parish of St Helen's and included land in Sutton Courtney, Sutton Wick and Drayton parishes. The manor changed hands and became the property of the Fraternity of the Holy Cross, and was then broken up into a number of tenancies. The Fraternity lands were then given to Christ's Hospital.

The Abingdon Borough boundary was moved to include Caldecott when housing was built in the mid 20th century, and so this area was taken from Sutton Wick. The name Caldecott was already used in  Caldecott Road, Caldecott House (now St Amand Drive), and Caldecott Farm.

There has been a lot of development since then and now the ward of Caldecott includes the following roads (as of 14th March 2019):

Andersey WayAndersey Island is the land between the River Thames and Swift Ditch
Argentan CloseArgentan is a twin town in France
AshgateNamed after an old field name in St Helen's Manor
Ashmole RoadElias Ashmole was a seventeenth century local historian
Bailie CloseMajor-General Bailie lived in Caldecott House
Baker RoadAgnes Baker was a local historian in the first half of the twentieth century
Bergen AvenueThere are town links with Bergen-op-Zoom in Holland
Blacknall RoadThe Blacknall family bought the Abbey site after the end of the Abbey
Bowler GardensJoseph Bowler was an early Abingdon first WW1 fatality.
Caldecott ChaseCaldecott was part of the manor of St Helen's
Caldecott CloseCaldecott was part of the manor of St Helen's
Caldecott RoadCaldecott was part of the manor of St Helen's
Challenor CloseBromley Challenor was town clerk from 1877-1918
Coopers LanePart of the brewery devlopment. Coopers made barrels.
CoromandelDistrict in New Zealand where the town has links
Cotman ClosePart of the painters area - John Sell Cotman was a watercolour artist
Croasdell CloseWilliam Croasdell was town clerk from 1923-1940
Draymans WalkPart of the brewery development. A Drayman drove the dray or cart
Drayton RoadLinks to the village of Drayton
Ferry WalkClose to the site a former river ferry
Fishermans WharfPart of the Marina site near the river.
Gainsborough GreenPart of the painters area -Two Gainsborough portraits were given to the town by Sir Charles Saxton
Godfrey CloseDaniel Godfrey - Town Clerk 1835-1877
Golafre RoadSir John Golafre gave the Manor of St Helens to the Fraternity of the Holy Cross
Grebe CloseGrebe is a common water bird seen on the river. Road near the River.
Healey CloseNamed after the Healey cars made at the M.G. factory in Abingdon.
Hermitage RoadThe Hermitage took plague victims to isolate them.
Heron CourtPart of the Marina site near the river. The Heron is a common water bird seen on the river.
Hogarth PlacePart of the painters area - William Hogarth was a well known artist
Hyde PlaceThe Hydes lived in Caldecott House from 1869-1896. Hyde and Son ran a clothing factory in Abingdon.
John Morris RoadThe Morris bequest of £200 in 1682 provided Christ Hospital with £10 a year for 10 poor inhabitants
Kensington CloseThe Manor of St Mary in Kensington were given to Abingdon Abbey. There are still links with Kensington.
King StreetPercival Arthur King was Abingdon's first WW1 fatality.
Kingfisher ClosePart of the Marina site near the river. A kingfisher is a common water bird seen on the river.
Ladygrove CourtFormer farm of Ladygrove  nearby
Lambrick WayMrs Gabrielle Lambrich was a local historian
Landseer WalkPart of the painters area - Sir Edwin Landseer was a well known artist
Lely CourtPart of the painters area - Sir Peter Lely was a Dutch artist
Looker GroveG T Looker was an early Abingdon first WW1 fatality.
Lucca DriveLucca is a twin town in Italy
Manor CourtPart of the medieval Manor of St Helen's
Marina WayPart of the Marina site near the river
MeadowsideAn old meadow was on this land
Meadowside CourtAn old meadow was on this land
Metcalfe CloseSir Thomas Metcalfe was a former MP for Abingdon
Midget CloseNamed after the MG Midget made at the M.G. factory in Abingdon.
Mill PaddockThere was a paddock here directly opposite St Helen's Mill
Mill Stream CourtThe River Ock here would have fed St Helen's Mill
Musson CloseThe Musson family once owned Caldecott House
North QuayNorth quay of Abingdon Marina
Ock StreetRuns parallel to the River Ock
OvermeadField name
Palmer PlacePart of the painters area - Samuel Palmer was a water colour artist
Preston RoadArthur Edwin Preston was a local historian and politician
Printers CourtFormer site of Leach the Printers
Pudsey CloseJohn Pudsey was an early town clerk of Abingdon
Reynolds WayPart of the painters area - Sir Joshua Reynolds was a famous portrait painter
Riley CloseNamed after the Riley cars made at the M.G. factory in Abingdon.
River CloseNamed because of proximity to the River Thames
Riverside TerraceNamed because of proximity to the River Ock on the Brewery development
Ruskin AvenuePart of the painters area - John Ruskin was a writer and artist
Saxton RoadSir Charles Saxton was recorder of the Borough of Abingdon and donated two Gainsborough paintings to the town
Schongau CloseSchongau is a twin town in Bavaria, Germany
Sint Niklaas CloseSint Niklaas is a twin town in Belgium
South QuaySouth quay of Abingdon Marina
St. Amand DriveLord Almaric St. Amand was the owner of the Manor of St Helen. Gave land to build Long Alley Almshouses.
Stenton CloseSir Frank Stenton was a local historian
Stonehill WalkThere is a walk across fields from near here to Stonehill House at Oday Hill
Sympson CloseWilliam Sympson was the first Town Clerk of Abingdon
The HydeThe Hydes lived in Caldecott House from 1869-1896. Hyde and Son ran a clothing factory in Abingdon.
Thomas WayA number of Thomas's were killed early in WWI. Harry, Leonard and Albert.
Thurston CloseSon of the Knight Raynald - a knight owing Knight-Service to Abingdon Abbey who had the Manor of St Helen's
Tower CloseNamed after the former Tower Brewery
TownsendJames Townsend was a local historian
Turberville CloseJohn de Turbeville married the heiress of St Helen's Manor
Turner RoadPart of the painters area - Joseph Mallard William Turner was a famous artist
Virginia WayNamed after the town Abingdon in Virginia, USA
Wallace CloseMr G W Wallace wrote the report 'Endowed Charities in Abingdon' in 1908
West QuayWest quay of Abingdon Marina
Wharf CloseNamed after the Wharf near where the Berks and Wilts Canal entered the Thames
Wilsham RoadName of land in former Sutton Courteney Parish alongside the River Thames
Winsmore LaneThe Winsmore Family lived at Banbury Court - a large medieaval house belonging to the Abbey
Woodcote WayCould mean cottage in a wood

Thankyou to John McGowan's book 'The Origin of the Street Names of Abingdon' which I have brought up to date for Caldecott.

No comments:

Post a Comment